Free School Meal Entitlement
Pupils whose parents receive the following support payments are entitled to receive free school meals:Income Support (IS)
- Income based jobseekers allowance (IBJSA)
- Support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999; or Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs), that as of 6th April 2011 does not exceed £16,190 (this amount may change).
- Income-related employment and support allowance
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Children who receive IS or IBJSA in their own right are also entitled to receive free school meals.
- An applicant can be entitled to free school meals if they are receiving working tax credit during the four week period immediately after employment finishes or after they start to work less than 16 hours per week.
Stockton Borough Council will check your benefits using the free school meals checking service (ECS) provided by the Department for Education. If they can’t find out about your benefits Stockton Borough Council will need to contact you before they can confirm your eligibility. You must continue to pay for all your child’s school meals until Stockton Borough Council receive proof that you are entitled to free school meals.
Apply now for free school meals…
If you would like to apply for free school meals, please contact the Free School Meals Team on telephone: 01642 526606 for an instant decision or complete the online free school meal application form.
To complete the online application form you will be asked for your contact details, National Insurance Number and the name and date of birth of children attending school.
What happens next?
If you have made a free school meals application over the telephone you will be informed straight away if your child is eligible. If your child is eligible, Stockton Borough Council will contact the school and your child will be added to the Free School Meals Register the following day. If you apply online or by post you will receive a letter informing you of the decision and free school meals will be awarded from the day following receipt of your application.